Saturday, July 26, 2008

All Time Crew XI


With the return of Brian McBride to MLS, many Crew fans have been discussing how it effects his legacy. Ive made my position clear that I dont think it affects his legacy at all and he is still the best player we have ever had. One poster on BigSoccer went so far as to say Brian McBride would not be on the his All-Time Starting XI for Columbus. This got me thinking: What would my All-Time Columbus Crew Starting XI be? When compiling my Roster, I wanted to include guys that played very well in Columbus and were important parts of the team for long periods of time. I want to emphasize players who were integral parts of the club and strong contributors. Since I was 7 years old when MLS and The Crew started up, my recollection of some of the earlier players is a little fuzzy compared some more seasoned Crew fans. Here is my list.


Goalkeeper: John Busch
I was between Friedel and Busch on this, but Busch gets the nod for playing for Columbus longer than Friedel

Defenders:
Frankie Hejduk, Thomas Dooley, Chad Marshall

All of these guys were US internationals. Marshall might be a point of contention but I feel that he is the most solid defender we have had and would be a much bigger name if it wasnt for all the concussions

Midfielders:
Robert Warzycha. Brian Maisonneuve, Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Kyle Martino

The first 3 are obvious. Martino might have fallen off, but he was MLS rookie of the year and did have a couple really strong seasons in Columbus

Forwards:
Brian McBride, Stern John, Jeff Cunningham

This was the easiest to pick. McBride and Cunningham are the all time leading scorers, and Stern John was a goal machine when playing for the Crew.

What do you think of this lineup? Who do you think should or shouldnt be on the list?

No comments: